Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Third-Piece Rule

Last month, I came across an article about some retailer companies in the US that encourage employees to be more stylish at work by applying this rule.The third-piece rule is something that is apart from your top and bottom but is not the shoes too. Then what is it?

After putting on the basics, one must think then of a layering piece to add that interesting element in the outfit. True, it can be an outerwear or an accessory. And later on, in our fashion styling class, I would learn it to be called a "focal point." Focal point as my instructor would simply define it, is that center of attention of your outfit. But must it always be an outer layering piece?

The first thing that came to mind when I read that article is this ensemble from last December. What I lacked in photography though was made up in the caption. "Three-parts black" as I have used to be specific.  The lace details of the dress underneath is too subtle but considered obligatory for a bardot crop top.

Yes, I am making the lace detail the focal point of my ensemble. And yes, sometimes the third-piece rule doesn't have to be an outer layer but an intriguing detail that leaves the looker a question, "Is it a part of the top or the skirt?" Now I got their attention. :P

Dress: Warehouse
Top: Topshop
Skirt: Asos
Shoes: Zara

No comments:

Post a Comment